Why is a cocktail called a cocktail?
It is not clear why alcoholic mixed drinks are called cocktails. For this reason, the origin of the name, which means rooster tail in German, is the subject of many theories and anecdotes. With this blog, we go out looking for clues.
The earliest sources point to a link with horse breeding and ginger when the word arose. Horses without pedigrees were called “rooster-tailed horses” because their tails were clipped at that time. Horse traders rectally inserted ginger pieces into animals before selling them. This made them look lively and their tails stood up.
like a rooster tail.
It wasn’t long before a similar invigorating effect was attributed to alcoholic mixed drinks, especially those containing ginger as an ingredient. Historian David Wondrich says he is not far from “half-breed horse” to “half-breed booze” in this context. HE IS
The word cocktail can therefore represent a spirit that is consumed mixed, not pure (pure blood).
How to make Strawberry Caipirinha Cocktail?
The cocktail classic Caipriniha can be flavored with strawberries. The drink tastes best outdoors and is the perfect companion for cozy barbecue evenings on the balcony or in the garden.
Strawberry caipirinha cocktail with fresh fruit
Of course, strawberry caipirinha tastes best with freshly picked fruit from local plantations. But even if the sweet little berries aren’t in season, you can still enjoy the cocktail thanks to frozen strawberries. The best way to do this is to puree the thawed fruit before completing the drink.
- 200 grams of strawberries
- 2 organic lemons
- 120 ml of cacha
- 4tablespoons of brown sugar
- broken ice
Strawberry Caipirinha Preparation:
- Wash, peel and slice the strawberries. Eighth lemon.
- Add 4 lemon slices and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar to each glass. Crush with a pestle. Add 30 ml of cachaça to the glass. Tip: If you want, you can add half of the strawberry slices and mash well.
- Fill glass with strawberry slices, crushed ice and remaining lemon slices. Serve with a straw and stir the strawberry caipi several times before drinking.